Audience Engagement Manager
About us: MassINC is a nonprofit think tank and publisher of CommonWealth, an online magazine of ideas and politics. MassINC is respected for our non-partisan research that moves ideas to public policy through civic engagement. CommonWealth is known for its independent civic journalism that pushes for government transparency and best practices in governance and public policy. Our mission is to promote policy, practice and an open democracy that support the growth of a vibrant middle class.
About this role: Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Audience Engagement manager is responsible for MassINC and CommonWealth’s online presence and visibility facing the public, media, and funders. The AE Manager will be an integral part of building MassINC’s organizational brand, increasing the visibility of the work, and helping expand our set of partners and funders. A self-starter with strong writing, communications, media relations, website, and social media skills who can support both the news publication and the research think tank will do well in this role.
This position will work cross-functionally with all teams to promote our brand to audiences and stakeholders throughout Massachusetts. A successful candidate will have strong communications and writing skills, media experience, CRM and SEO strategy, and an understanding of events, social media, and CMS and website management.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Manage and maintain MassINC and CommonWealth’s websites, including basic technical updates, drafting and coordinating regular content updates, and website and search engine optimization;
- Report website analytics for the MassINC and CommonWealth platforms; evaluate, develop, and implement a cross-functional strategic communication and audience engagement and donor relations plan for MassINC and CommonWealth magazine;
- Design, format and edit all digital communications and campaigns, including e-blasts, press releases, infographics, and event invitations;
- Manage an overhaul of MassINC and CommonWealth’s CRM system (Salesforce) to track subscribers, funders, and other stakeholders;
- Implement a social media strategy that spans Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and LinkedIn;
- Write blog posts and curate content for additional posts from internal and external partners;
- Identify new trends in communications/media and propose ways for MassINC and CommonWealth to leverage those trends, sharing best practices with staff and colleagues;
- Evaluate and design digital and print marketing materials across all teams for a variety of events, powerpoints, and reports;
- Manage event logistics with internal and external stakeholders.
- Stay informed of all research, journalism and civic event initiatives in order to advise and implement timely social media strategies.
Requisite Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- At least 5 years’ work experience: in digital media, marketing, communications, and/or fundraising strongly preferred
- Digital journalism, agency or campaign experience preferred
- Working knowledge of website tools and software, including HTML and WordPress
- Experience with graphic design software, including Adobe and InDesign
- CRM experience, specifically Salesforce
- Knowledge of and/or willingness to learn email broadcasting tools, including Constant Contact
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- An entrepreneurial mindset (i.e. flexible, resourceful, and creative) and deep motivation to drive towards high-quality outcome.
- Must demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of social media strategy and its interaction with organizations ongoing activities.
- Proven track record of taking initiative on multi-step projects and ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and environment
- Must be passionate about the mission of MassINC and CommonWealth magazine
MassINC is a non-profit organization committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. This is a Boston-based position with a salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include competitive health and dental, 401k match, generous sick and personal time, and paid vacation time. The position offers the opportunity to play a fulfilling role in convening and promoting diverse communities and leaders.
How to apply
Interested and qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com. Applications must include a cover letter in order to be considered. Please include “Application for Audience Engagement Manager, MassINC” in the subject line of the e-mail.